Sunday, April 22, 2007

So Tootles explained prudently, "You see, sir, I don't think my
mother would like me to be a pirate. Would your mother like you
to be a pirate, Slightly?"

He winked at Slightly, who said mournfully, "I don't think so,"
as if he wished things had been otherwise. "Would your mother
like you to be a pirate, Twin?"

"I don't think so," said the first twin, as clever as the
others. "Nibs, would -- "

"Stow this gab," roared Hook, and the spokesmen were dragged
back. "You, boy," he said, addressing John, "you look as if you
had a little pluck in you. Didst never want to be a pirate, my
hearty?"

Now John had sometimes experienced this hankering at maths.
prep.; and he was struck by Hook's picking him out.

"I once thought of calling myself Red-handed Jack," he said
diffidently.

"And a good name too. We'll call you that here, bully, if you
join."

"What do you think, Michael?" asked John.

"What would you call me if I join?" Michael demanded.