Sunday, May 27, 2007

No one spoke except Slightly.

"Three," he said.

Hook rallied his dogs with a gesture. "'S'death and odds
fish," he thundered, "who is to bring me that doodle-doo?"

"Wait till Cecco comes out," growled Starkey, and the others took
up the cry.

"I think I heard you volunteer, Starkey," said Hook, purring
again.

"No, by thunder!" Starkey cried.

"My hook thinks you did," said Hook, crossing to him. "I
wonder if it would not be advisable, Starkey, to humour the hook?"

"I'll swing before I go in there," replied Starkey doggedly,
and again he had the support of the crew.

"Is this mutiny?" asked Hook more pleasantly than ever.
"Starkey's ringleader!"

"Captain, mercy!" Starkey whimpered, all of a tremble now.

"Shake hands, Starkey," said Hook, proffering his claw.

Starkey looked round for help, but all deserted him. As he
backed up Hook advanced, and now the red spark was in his eye.
With a despairing scream the pirate leapt upon Long Tom and
precipitated himself into the sea.

"Four," said Slightly.