Sunday, July 29, 2007

Thus Wendy and John and Michael found the window open for them
after all, which of course was more than they deserved. They
alighted on the floor, quite unashamed of themselves, and the
youngest one had already forgotten his home.

"John," he said, looking around him doubtfully, "I think I have
been here before."

"Of course you have, you silly. There is your old bed."

"So it is," Michael said, but not with much conviction.

"I say," cried John, "the kennel!" and he dashed across to look
into it.

"Perhaps Nana is inside it," Wendy said.

But John whistled. "Hullo," he said, "there's a man inside
it."

"It's father!" exclaimed Wendy.

"Let me see father," Michael begged eagerly, and he took a good
look. "He is not so big as the pirate I killed," he said with
such frank disappointment that I am glad Mr. Darling was asleep;
it would have been sad if those had been the first words he heard
his little Michael say.

Wendy and John had been taken aback somewhat at finding their
father in the kennel.