Saturday, September 29, 2007

"I showed her a bowl of white roses and I said, 'I'm going to make a flower for you," he said. "And she didn't quite get it. She thought I was putting her on. But I think, as you drive around the city, it's kind of a flower. I hope it is, for her."The hall has floral carpets and a fountain made of Delft china in the shape of a rose in her honour. The Los Angeles Philharmonic was previously resident at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion but the acoustics there meant much of the sound was swallowed, forcing musicians to play more loudly. "In the new hall, a normal Los Angeles music lover will have the first opportunity to hear what the orchestra really sounds like, and I think they will be pretty astonished," said conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen. The opening concert was put together to showcase what the concert hall acoustics have to offer, from solo recitals to the full symphony orchestra. Guests attended a $1,500-per-head dinner before taking their seats in the hall.